Last 3 Day in Taipei


The last three days in Taipei have been truly incredible. On the first day, we visited a small town called Yingge, renowned for its pottery. The experience was both educational and hands-on, as we toured the pottery museum and later visited a collection store. Seeing the process of making ceramics was fascinating, but the highlight was actually getting to try it myself. Watching the clay take shape and understanding the level of skill required to craft even the simplest pieces gave me a newfound respect for the artisans.


What impressed me most was the museum's way of presenting the history and evolution of pottery. The exhibits detailed the origins of ceramics and how they have transformed people's lives over time. Before this visit, I had always viewed ceramics as either tableware or decorative objects, not really thinking about their broader applications in technology. It was eye-opening to learn how ceramics have contributed to advancements in various fields and how their practical uses extend far beyond what I initially imagined.

On the second day, we finalized our design project with students from Shih Chien University (SCU) during a visit to Visonbase. This collaboration was especially memorable because we changed our original design concept based on some new ideas. We ended up combining elements of everyday lighting with temple designs, creating a decorative lamp meant to symbolize a spiritual presence. What stood out to me during this process was the reaction of the Taiwanese students to the way we approach learning in the U.S. They were surprised by how our professors guided us, offering ideas and encouraging experimentation when we felt stuck. In Taiwan, it seems that professors might be more direct in rejecting designs they don’t approve of, whereas our experience has been more about trial and error, which allows for more creative freedom.


On the last day, I visited a local climbing gym with two friends, Kalin and Ned. The experience highlighted the differences between rock climbing styles in Asia and the US. In Asia, there’s a stronger emphasis on technical moves, while in the US, routes tend to be more straightforward. It was an exhausting but fulfilling day, and while I climbed, I got to meet several locals around my age. Through casual conversations, I learned about their impressions of Taipei and the stories that shaped their perspectives on the city.


These last few days have left me with a deeper appreciation for Taiwanese culture, design, and the people I’ve met along the way. Each experience has given me a different lens through which to view the world, and I’m excited to carry these memories with me as I continue my studies abroad.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog