Taiwan – A Place I Will Always love

 

This exchange trip to Taiwan has taught me so much, both about design and about myself. One of the most valuable lessons I learned was the importance of collaboration. Working with Taiwanese students gave me new perspectives on how to approach design challenges, especially when blending creativity with cultural sensitivity. The Storyroots project wasn’t just about designing a toy; it was about understanding how storytelling can bridge cultural gaps, enhance communication, and encourage interaction between children and parents.


Beyond the classroom, Taiwan’s rich history and culture have left a lasting impression on me. From the bustling night markets of Taipei to the serene sunsets of Tainan, I was constantly reminded of the unique blend of tradition and modernity that defines this country. Every meal was an exploration—whether it was savoring the famous beef soup in Tainan or enjoying a bowl of tofu pudding, each dish carried a story and a deep connection to the people who prepared it. Taiwanese food culture, with its emphasis on fresh ingredients and bold flavors, reflects the warmth and generosity of its people.


The friendships I’ve made during this trip have also been a highlight. Connecting with both local students and fellow exchange students has broadened my social circle and deepened my understanding of how design is taught and practiced in different parts of the world. Whether we were brainstorming for the project or relaxing at the beach, these moments of connection made me realize how much we can learn from one another, regardless of where we come from.





In addition to the academic and social experiences, I was particularly struck by Taiwan's dedication to sustainability and craftsmanship. Visiting local workshops, such as the bamboo and wood carving studios, opened my eyes to the incredible skills and passion that go into preserving traditional arts while incorporating modern technologies. The balance between heritage and innovation in Taiwan is something I admire and hope to bring into my own design practice in the future.


As I prepare to leave Taiwan, I can’t help but feel a sense of gratitude. These 21 days have not only been a journey of learning but also of personal growth. Taiwan has shown me the value of slowing down, of taking the time to appreciate the beauty in everyday life, and of embracing collaboration to create something meaningful. I will carry these lessons with me as I continue my studies and design work, forever thankful for this unforgettable experience in Taiwan.

Comments

  1. It’s been a pleasure reading about your experience in the program. The level of detail and execution in your team's Storyroot project exceeded expectations. Additionally, thank you for your support with translation and assistance throughout the program!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog