Journey in Tainan


By stepping onto the high-speed train, we embarked on the second part of our study abroad experience. The transition from Taipei to Tainan gave me a similar feeling to traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto. The pace of life slowed down significantly once we stepped off the train. The people of Tainan are incredibly laid-back and seem to enjoy good food every day. Compared to the fast-paced life in Taipei, I’ve begun to appreciate the slower lifestyle in Tainan, where hidden culinary gems can be found around every corner. The people in Tainan are more genuine and welcoming, which has made me feel even more connected to the place. On the first night in Tainan, I was blown away by a casual visit to a record bar. Sitting on the carpet with a group of friends, we enjoyed a fusion of vinyl records and modern DJ sets, which made me realize that Tainan is by no means behind the times. Instead, they express art and ideas in their own unique way, blending tradition with modern creativity.


The second destination of our trip, National Cheng Kung University (NCKU), also left a deep impression on me. Unlike universities in the U.S., where campuses often blend into the city, Taiwanese universities tend to have a more distinct boundary separating them from the urban environment. This clear distinction made me feel a certain separation from the hustle and bustle, and I was able to fully immerse myself in the historical atmosphere of the campus. The blend of old and new at NCKU created a unique learning environment that made me reflect on the differences between the education systems in Taiwan and the US.

One of the most memorable experiences during our time in Tainan was the indigo dyeing workshop, which gave me a deeper understanding of Taiwanese culture. I was amazed by the wisdom of the people in the past, who were able to discover such a magical plant in the mountains and use it not only for its medicinal properties but also for its vibrant blue pigment. I really enjoyed the process of indigo dyeing, as it reminded me of film photography—there’s a shared sense of anticipation and excitement before untying the knots to reveal the unknown patterns underneath. Both processes capture the beauty of awaiting the unexpected, and that sense of discovery made the experience even more fulfilling.

This part of the trip has offered me more than just cultural insights—it has given me a new appreciation for the art of slowing down, for the richness of tradition, and for the surprises that come when you allow yourself to experience life at a different pace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog